TVCCA Cares about Housing Section 8 Rental Assistance Program

Section 8 FAQs for Renters

Section 8 or the Housing Choice Voucher Program, provides families and individuals with a housing subsidy to provide safe, affordable housing. The program utilizes scattered-site apartments available within the community, rather than housing everyone at one location. The rent paid by participants is determined by a formula that examines the households income, how many people are in the house and the cost of housing. Participants pay roughly 40% of their gross income toward rent. This is just a guideline and will vary from household to household.

This state program was modeled after the federal Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program. It is almost identical. The main difference is the RAP is funded with state dollars and Section 8 HVC is funded with federal dollars.

Currently, the waiting lists for these programs are closed and not accepting applications at this time.

You must notify the office in writing.

Please send a letter or note to:

TVCCA Housing
401 West Thames St. Unit 201
Norwich, CT 06360-7155

Or you may fax the information to: 860-885-2738.

The housing programs are not concerned that someone is in your household but it is important that is clear that your landlord has approved someone else moving in. It is also extremely important that all additional income that a new person brings into the household be counted. This will change your rent portion. It is also crucial that you request to add a new adult to your household before the person moves in. Any new household members must pass the same background checks that you had to pass before being issued a housing voucher.

All the changes in household income must be reported in writing, in fact, all changes that someone may want to report must be in writing to the above address or fax number listed in question 1.

The housing program expects that you will honor the terms of your lease, including the start and end dates. Should you need to move before the end of your lease, the programs require that you get a special form signed off by your landlord. Please note that you may face legal consequences from breaking your lease.

Each assisted apartment must be inspected at least once per year as part of your yearly recertification.

Section 8 Information for Landlords

The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) and the state funded Rental Assistance Program (RAP) provide housing subsidies to low and very low income families and individuals. As a landlord, you would receive part of the rent from the program and part from the tenant.

It is very important to note that Section 8 and RAP tenants are exactly the same as any non-assisted tenant. It is the landlord’s responsibility to screen all prospective tenants.

It is required that all assisted housing units be inspected before move in and then once per year as part of the annual redetermination process. This is a basic health and safety inspection conducted by Pat Kelson and Associates. Any failure items must be corrected before any rent can be issued.

As the operators of the program, TVCCA is responsible for scheduling the annual inspection, ensuring that the rental subsidy has been calculated properly and that the correct check is issued to the landlord. TVCCA in no way substitutes for the authority of the landlord or property manager.